January 7th, 2014
I never knew that having a dog actually meant that I would learn about what it truly means to love another living being down to the bottom of my heart.
But that’s exactly what happens when you get a dog.
You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll learn how to clean up messes and love them through all of it.
Here’s a list of all the things I learned by having my very first dog.
And I realized…that it goes way beyond dogs.
This is a list of how to love anything and anyone.
1) Positively reinforcing behaviors is the only way to get what you want.
2) It takes time and work for things to be the way you want them to be.
3) You must be patient with the stage they’re in and don’t rush them with their growth
4) Sometimes you have to compromise things you want for the good of the partnership (“but I’m not ready to get out of bed yet, puppy!”)
5) With a mutual care, you can have a friend for life.
6) Don’t expect to leave them home, neglected for a long time without coming home to an upset dog.
7) Sometimes they make messes, but that doesn’t make them less lovable.
8) When the going gets tough, you work through it together, you try something new.
9) Yelling at them almost never works.
10) Setting clear boundaries and rules (and sticking to them) is necessary for a happy relationship.
11) Cuddling always feel good.
12) With enough exercise, love, and discipline, you will have a happy puppy.
13) If something repeatedly isn’t working, try something new.
14) Special outings make for a happy partnership.
15) Make sure you get your basic needs met before you embark on the day.
16) Handling the poop is part of the job.
17) Sometimes sloppy wet kisses feel amazing.
18) What’s good about it is so much more important than what’s bad about it.
19) You must MAKE the time for each other.
20) You must have a sense of humor to get through the bad days.
21) Sometimes they mess up, but they don’t do it on purpose to make you mad.
22) You aren’t going to feel love for them 100% of the time, but it doesn’t mean you should take them to the pound.
23) Sometimes they get smelly…just means it’s time for a bath.
24) You will smile and laugh so much more by having them in your life.
25) You never knew how much capacity you had to love until you saw your puppy get sick.
26) A good long walk outside cures a lot of problems.
27) If you want things to be different, YOU need to be different about it.
28) You CAN teach an old dog new tricks.
29) When teaching them something new, be calm and assertive.
30) Be proud of their accomplishments and communicate that to them.
31) No matter how dirty they get, no matter how many messes they make, at the end of the day, the love and comittment keeps you together
What do you think? Do you have a dog? What have you learned about love from your perfect pooch (because let’s face it…he’s peeeeeeeeeerfect :) )?
Leave a comment below with what you would add to this list. And of course if you love this list, share it with your peeps or your Pinterest. Yeehaw!
P.s. The doors for the Wildheart Revolution are still closed but a little birdie told me that enrollment is opening VERRRRRRY soon. Get on the list to get more info.